The best towels are an essential cleaning item in the home. From the small ones to dry our hands to the ones, we use for the shower. And although most of us do not pay attention to their characteristics, it is essential to know what material they are made of to not have surprises in the first wash.
Since there are towels of different colors, textures, and sizes, it is worth asking yourself, what should I consider before buying one? It is necessary to ask yourself this question since we can inadvertently contribute to a family member developing an allergy if we buy a piece made of poor or low-quality material.
The Most Important
- Currently, towels fulfill three functions, drying, cleaning, and decorating. Its usefulness has increased over time.
- Towels should be washed consistently. And even more, if we use the same towel to dry our face, body, or hands. This way we avoid bad smells.
- It is advisable to wash shared towels more often. For example, those that we put on the dresser to use after washing our hands.
The Best Towels On The Market: Our Favorites
Towels are necessary cleaning items, so we must renew them every so often and not wait for them to deteriorate. And since it is a pleasure to shower and dry with a soft towel, it is essential to know which options best treat our skin in the following list.
- Online users’ favorite towel set
- The best-selling hypoallergenic and cotton towel set
- The towel is set for the most demanding
- The ideal towel for those who love luxury and oversized items
- The towel set for those looking for quality and daily use
Bath towels sooner or later deteriorate. They begin to lose softness and absorption capacity. Even if they have been used for a long time, they lose their fibers.
Taking care of the clothes properly is necessary to extend their useful life, but the time will come when we must change them. You must take into account the following aspects:
The thickness of the towels is measured in grams per square meter. The thicker it is, the more it increases its absorption capacity and durability. From 450 gr / m² we are talking about a good towel.
Our house’s towels should not be less thick to ensure softness and comfort for many years of use.
- 300-400 g: Lightweight, promotional and low cost.
- 400-500g: Medium weight, suitable for general use.
- 500-600 g: Soft to the touch, excellent absorption capacity, and resistant to use.
- 600-750g: They remain dry even after use, are resistant to washing, and can last a long time.
The sizes are usually standard between the different brands that exist in the market. Choose the combination of measures that work best for you based on your personal needs and tastes.
Remember that there are standard sizes for the most common, such as hands or shower, but the measurements are a simple reference. Choose the most comfortable ones.
The vast majority of towels are made of 100% cotton, given this natural fiber’s excellent absorption capacity. The quality of the towels increases if the thread with which they have been woven is double.
This performance can be checked by pinching a loop in the piece and checking whether the cable consists of one or two strands.
From an aesthetic point of view, the options to choose from are endless. Plain and neutral colors are one of the most recurring preferences because they integrate into any environment.
You can select them all white or in the same color range. So, if you opt for striped or patterned models, you will get it quickly.
Top 10 Best Towels Review
Pinzon 6 Piece Blended Egyptian Cotton Bath Towel Set
Pinzon presents a set of 6 towels -2 baths, 2 hands, and 2 toilets- made with Egyptian cotton to give you superior softness and comfort. They are quite absorbent, and due to the quality of their materials, they will last you for years in good condition.
Utopia Towels – Premium Towel Set
They can be washed at a high temperature in the washing machine (up to 40 ° C). On the contrary, it is recommended that drying be carried out at a low temperature.
Its colors are resistant, however, it does not use bleach in its washing. If you are looking for a light and fast-absorbing towel set, this is the one.
59″ x 27″ Large Bamboo Bath Towel
They are more absorbent than a cotton towel, and their softness will be unmatched. Chrome knows that a towel is not enough, so it offers this set with 2 units, in different designs with gray tones, which will be easily combined in your home.
Utopia Towels Towel Set
They are hypoallergenic, ideal for people with skin hypersensitivity. Being made of terry cloth they are much more absorbent. Avoid fabric softeners and bleaches because they decrease their useful life and fluffiness.
Luxury Hotel & Spa Bath Towel 100% Genuine Turkish Cotton
They have the Oeko-tex and ISO 9001 Certificate, which guarantees that no toxic chemicals were used during the manufacturing process. This makes them friendly to the environment.
Luxury White Hand Towels – Soft Circlet Egyptian Cotton.
A set of 6 hand towels for the bathroom comes with a choice of white, grey, black, navy blue, light blue, brown, burgundy, green, beige, and pink. You can use them pretty much anywhere!
Hang some in the bathroom, put some in your gym bag for when you work up a sweat, leave some in the high-quality guest room for your visitors, This is also a perfect gift for your loved one – housewarming gift – holiday gift any occasion.
Amazon Basics 6-Piece Fade-Resistant Cotton Bath Towel Set – Navy Blue
Made entirely of cotton, they are very resistant, soft, and absorbent so they provide the practical and pleasant drying you need after a refreshing bath.
To wash them, you can put them in the washing machine without fear that they will lose their color and stain other pieces. The only negative detail worth mentioning is that the towels are medium in size compared to others, as some consumers have expressed.
Utopia Towels – Luxurious Jumbo Bath Sheet
The towel has been designed for people of higher than average height or perhaps for you, who love to wrap yourself up too much when getting out of the shower and protect yourself from drafts. It is made of natural materials, free of harmful chemicals and synthetic materials.
Hammam Linen 6-Piece Original Turkish Cotton Soft
Due to its 100% cotton production, top-quality terry cloth, and its natural fiber, they resist rubbing, the passage of time, and washing. They are washed at a maximum of 30 ° C and cannot be machine dried.
Amrapur Overseas Air Cloud 100%
Each of the towels is made of ultra-soft, light cotton with a high absorption level, which makes them comfortable, very adequate, and recommended for all types of environments: swimming pools, gyms, hotels, spas, bathrooms, among others.
Once you finish using them, they dry quite quickly and you can wash them both by machine and by hand, and in neither case do they lose their colors. You can find these towels in other colors. Its price is somewhat high.
What to Consider When Choosing The Best Towels
There are many types of towels available on the market. Before deciding, you should analyze the characteristics so that they adapt to your needs.
Over the years, towels have undergone several changes in their composition. That is why we want to answer the most frequent questions among users.
Why buy a towel?
Towels are articles of daily use in the home. Over time, it is necessary to change them because they deteriorate after a certain amount of washes.
The reasons are the following:
- Renovation: Do you remember when the last time you changed your towels was? If your answer is negative, then it is very likely that it was a long time ago. Keep in mind that a towel’s estimated life is 2 to 3 years, so it is essential to renew them from time to time. Not only for a comfort factor but cleanliness.
- Decoration: It is gratifying when we have visitors at home and everyone is impressed with the beautiful toilet towels that are located inside the bathroom. Take care of adding color and style to the room’s visual image, let creativity emerge in you, awaken the artist within you.
What types of towels are on the market according to their size?
Towels are essential as personal hygiene products, so it is essential to have them for multiple purposes. They are necessary for washing hands or for the shower, but other types depend on their size, as you will see below:
- Washcloth. They are used to dry hands and hair, and their size is usually 40 x 70 centimeters.
- Toilet towel. It is also used for the bidet or for the toiletry bag when we go on a trip. Its measurements are usually 30 x 50 centimeters.
- Bath towel. Also called “baths”, they are used after a shower and their measures are usually 50 x 100 centimeters.
- Bath towel or washcloth. Its measurements are generally 100 x 150 and are also used without any problem for the beach.
- Towel for the feet. They typically measure 27 x 52 centimeters and are thicker to ensure footrest when getting out of the shower.
What materials are the towels made from?
This is not a trivial question because depending on the material, we will have a more substantial, more durable, or even hypoallergenic towel, depending on the case. Next, we show you some common materials in the manufacture of towels:
It is fiber par excellence since it naturally attracts water and can absorb almost 25 times its weight. Cotton towels are characterized by trapping moisture so that there is no trace left when we dry.
There are different spinning techniques, but the most used are looping or stacking.
Microfiber towels are made from synthetic fibers, such as polyester and nylon. The ideal ratio is 80% nylon and 20% polyester.
This terry is very different from cotton, it is much finer, it absorbs more moisture, it dries faster, but it does not have that soft and luxurious feeling that you have when you touch a cotton towel.
It is a natural fiber that has antibacterial properties, making it very hygienic. It is perfect for people with atopic skin because it does not cause allergies.
It absorbs like cotton and is also very soft and flexible. Bamboo towels are breathable, they are nice and cool in summer, but do not protect from the cold in winter.
Polyester is a synthetic material that is often combined with other fibers, such as cotton or nylon, to lower costs. It is lightweight, absorbs quickly, repels stains, won’t shrink or stretch, and resists mold.
They are perfect for outdoor activities because they are not discolored or affected by the sun’s rays.
What determines the quality of towels?
It will depend on the type of material used in its manufacture, the weight, and the density. The grammage indicates the importance of a towel per square meter.
The higher the amount of grammage, the higher the towel’s quality, and its absorption capacity will be higher. Good quality is given from 500 grams.
How to prevent lint from sticking to my towels?
First, soak the towels in a bowl of water, salt, and vinegar for two to three hours. Then put the towel in the washing machine, but without using a fabric softener. You will see how the lint problem has disappeared.
Of course, take into account the manufacturer’s specifications before taking any action.
How to remove the musty smell from towels?
One of the most frequent mistakes we make after getting out of the shower is leaving the towel inside the bathroom. That is why the bad smell makes its appearance.
That is why, when you finish using it, it is advisable to place it outside the house or in a place where there may be current.
How often should the towels be washed?
According to the Cleveland Clinic, it is recommended to wash the towel for bathing at least once a week or change it for a clean one, while the wipes to dry the hands should be changed or washed twice a week.
In this way, the presence of bacteria and microbes within them will be avoided.
How to keep towels clean?
- Your towels must be immaculate not to become an entry vehicle for bacteria and dirt. Therefore, we offer you below a list with the most important recommendations for its maintenance: Do not share the hand towel with other house members if they have a skin disease.
- Buy children’s hand towels separately because they generally don’t wash their hands well.
- Do not share the bath towel with which you dry yourself.
- When you stop using it, hang it on a flat surface so it can dry.
How to wash towels so that they always look new?
Another fundamental aspect is maintenance so that your towels are always perfect. There are several important tips to extend the durability of these items, as you will see below:
One of the most common mistakes when washing towels is choosing an inappropriate program in the washing machine.
Although it may give us the feeling that hot water can favor cleaning, it is only possible to contract the seams and affect the towel’s fabric and color. Therefore it is best to choose short programs and cold water.
Vinegar and white soap
A common mistake is to use a fabric softener, as it will turn your towel into sandpaper once dry. It is best to mix washing machine soap and white vinegar because this mixture will disinfect the bath towel and make it fluffy and look new.
Although it is true that when putting the washing machine, it is advisable to fill them to not waste water and energy, in the case of towels, an exception can (and is worth) making.
It is important that they can rotate easily within the drum to prevent the fibers from caking and losing their softness.
The first thing to do when removing each towel from the washing machine is to shake it vigorously to restore its shape. Thus, it will only be left to hang them in an area where the sun does not fall directly.
That is well aerated if you want to avoid the bad smell and the rigid touch. It is also important not to bend them while they are wet.
What mistakes do we make when using towels?
Sometimes, due to ignorance, we make mistakes when using bath towels. That is why we have prepared a list of the most frequent mistakes. Take note to avoid falling into them because it will have consequences on your skin and body.
Here are the five most common mistakes:
- Using too much detergent: Too much detergent can leave irritating residue or serve as food for bacteria.
- Do not air the towels frequently: By airing your towels often, you prevent dirt and, therefore, bacteria from accumulating.
- Accumulate wet towels in the laundry basket: Do not even think about doing this because they can acquire what is popularly called “lice”, which will make them useless and you will have to throw them away.
- Use the same towel for different functions: After drying your private parts, do not use the same towel for other body areas.
- Share the same towel: This advice is obvious, but just in case, we remind you again. The towels are personal hygiene items, so you should not use the same person, even if it is from the same family. There are skin diseases that are acquired by contact.
How to make my towels fluffy and soft?
First, you must submerge them in cold water, with vinegar and a dash of lemon. We leave the towels submerged in the water for half an hour and we turn it so that it absorbs the mixture well.
The towels are then rinsed using cold water. Finally, you should put the towels in the washing machine and choose a cold wash program.
What happens if you don’t change your bath towel often?
The number of pathogens present in the towels after use can end up causing certain inconveniences for the skin. If, for example, we suffer irritations, rashes or infections, we should check if we follow good hygiene guidelines with them. Experts recommend washing them once a week.
It is not easy to choose a good towel, so you must pay attention to some fundamental criteria, such as the design, measurements or the density of the fabric.
In any case, we hope that this guide has helped you to choose the most suitable set of towels for your needs and those of your loved ones. Remember that size, thickness and quality are crucial elements to obtain the towel that perfectly fits your needs.
Always opt for natural fabrics, if possible, because they are hypoallergenic and generally much more resistant. But in any case, keep all the factors in mind!
If you liked the article, leave a comment or share it with your friends and family on social networks so they can buy the best towels on the market.