When it comes to household chores, not many people enjoy doing laundry—especially ironing. It’s a tedious activity that seems to have no modern advancement. Other chores have innovative tools that can help get the job done or do most of the hard work for you, except for the ironing board.
It’s true that we are no longer using whalebone to do our ironing like the Vikings in the 9th century, nor are we using a flat piece of wood between two chairs, the ironing board has had minor advancements. Be that as it may, you want to choose the best ironing board that you can if you want to get wrinkle-free fabric and crisp seams.
In this guide, we’re going to go over what you should look for when choosing the best ironing board for your home. We’re also going to provide you with five great products that we believe are deserving of being called the best of the best.
What To Look For When Choosing The Best Ironing Board
When you’re looking for a good ironing board for your home, you’ll want to take note of these things:
- Size – There are several different types of ironing boards available on the market today: portable ironing boards and built-in ironing boards. The typical full-size board will be around 54 inches by 15 inches, but you can find a wide, professional-quality board that is 63 inches by 19 inches. If you have the space, always go for the widest board so you can iron more fabric in one shot.
- Height – The height of your board should always come to your hip. It doesn’t matter if you purchase a standing model, a mounted or tabletop board, or a built-in ironing board. At this height, you’ll be more comfortable working than if it is any higher or lower than the hip. You can look for adjustable ironing boards if you aren’t going to be the only one using them.
- Sleeve Attachment – In most cases, an ironing board will not come with a sleeve attachment for your board. This attachment is like a smaller ironing board that your sleeve will slide onto. Sometimes you can find boards that have this feature included.
- Safety Features – Working with an ironing board means you’re going to be working with a hot iron, so it would make sense that your board has safety features in place to ensure that no accidents occur while using the iron.
- Type of Cover – The cover for the ironing board is equally as important as the thickness of the padding. The material should be made from a high-quality cotton material or any other material made from a natural fiber that can withstand high heat.
- Sturdiness – The quality of your board and its sturdiness can play a big role in how durable and usable it will be. It is a good idea to choose an ironing board whose legs, frame, and folding mechanism are solidly built because you don’t want an ironing board that is going to wobble while you work on it.
- Padding– Many people would lead you to believe that you have to iron on a hard surface if you want to remove any wrinkles from your fabric. The truth is that when you iron clothing on a padded surface, it will be much easier to iron.
The padding allows you to press a little harder on the fabric, stretching the fibers and smoothing the wrinkles. Look for boards that have 5mm to 8mm padding for best results.
Your board should be strong enough to handle the weight of the article of clothing, the iron, and the pressure you apply while working.
Avoid synthetic covers because they may stick to the iron, or even melt—possibly ruining your clothing, the iron, and the ironing board.
Some safety features should also include:
- Leg Lock – This works a lot like the safety lock, but the leg lock is intended to be used when the ironing board isn’t in use. The lock will allow you to store the table in a closet without the legs opening up and damaging anything that may be in its way.
- Safety Lock – This will keep the ironing board’s legs in place while the board is in use. The locks are especially important to have if you have children or pets who might come in contact with the board and knock it over on accident. Even if you don’t have children or pets, it’s still a good feature to have because it gives you peace of mind in knowing the table is secure.
- Iron Rest – While you’re ironing, you will have to pause every so often to reposition the garment so you can work on another section. You don’t want to put the iron directly on the ironing board pad because that could lead to scorching.
You can, however, look for an ironing board that has an iron rest on the side made from metal. The iron rest will keep hot iron off the pad, give you more space to work, and it will also keep the iron from falling off the board, too.
Now that you know what features to look for when shopping for the best ironing board, let’s take a look at five options we think are worthy of your consideration.
Best Built In Ironing Board
Winner: Household Essentials Stow Away In-Wall Ironing Board Cabinet
When your home is short on space, you might feel like you aren’t able to purchase one of those large ironing boards that your mother may have used. Fortunately, Household Essentials has created the Stow Away In-Wall ironing board cabinet.
With this unit, you can recess the cabinet between two studs in the wall at the perfect height for the user (once installed, the board can be adjusted an additional two inches for extra height).
The cabinet features an ironing board that has a 180-degree range of motion, making it perfect for right-handed people and left-handed people alike.
Also, the cabinet features two shelves inside the unit where you can store your iron and other ironing accessories like a water bottle and starch. On the door, you’ll find a hook where you can hang that freshly pressed shirt to keep it wrinkle-free until you’re ready to hang it in the closet.
Notable features of the Household Essentials Stow Away In-Wall Ironing Board Cabinet include:
- Space-saving wall mount cabinet that goes in the wall with pull out ironing board
- Two built-in shelves allow you to store and hide away your iron and ironing accessories
- 180-degree rotation for full access to the board; accommodates left and right-handed users
- The ironing surface is 41 x 11.75 inches and the height of the board is adjustable
- Cabinet Dimensions: 7.8 Inches Deep x 15.9 Inches Wide x 47.9 Inches High
When looking at what people had to say about the Household Essentials Stow Away In-Wall Ironing Board Cabinet they had great things to say. Folks were pleased by how nice the cabinet looks in the laundry room (or any other room where they do the ironing).
Customers were pleased by how easy the unit was to install and they were also appreciative of the ironing board that had the capabilities of swiveling 180 degrees.
Of the people who were not satisfied with their purchase, customers felt that the unit wasn’t made with quality in mind.
They pointed out that the ironing board itself was made from pressed wood instead of stainless steel. Some people felt like the finish on the cabinet was done poorly and they had to sand and repaint it for it to look nice.
Runner Up: Hafele America Wall-Mounted Ironing Board
When you’re looking for something that isn’t going to take up a lot of space, you can’t go wrong with the best wall-mounted ironing board like the one offered by Hafele America.
This basic ironing board attaches directly to the studs in the wall and it can fold up so it rests against the wall when it isn’t being used. The stainless steel board is coated in an epoxy coating, which is then covered in a protective cloth cover.
While you’re working with the ironing board, you have the ability to rotate the board 90 degrees in each direction (left or right). By having the ability to swivel, this is the perfect option for families where not everyone is right-handed—left-handed folks can use this ironing board comfortably, too.
Notable features of the Hafele America Wall-Mounted Ironing Board include:
- Easily mounts to your wall
- Board measures 37-3/8” L x 11-7/8” W
- Constructed of steel with white epoxy coating
- Comes with one cloth ironing board cover
- The board swivels 90 left and right, and locks in place in any position.
When looking at what people had to say about the Hafele America Wall-Mounted Ironing Board they had great things to say. Customers pointed out that they loved how sturdy the ironing board was once it was installed.
They did point out that they reinforced it by attaching a thick plank of wood to the wall and then securing the ironing board to the plank. Customers also liked that this unit was able to swivel 180 degrees and when it wasn’t being used, they could fold it up flat against the wall.
Though there were many positive reviews, there were still some customers who were disappointed with their purchase. Some of the problems people had were that the ironing board was too heavy and the instructions on how to install the unit weren’t clear.
Also, customers found that the unit was so heavy, that it would start to sag and eventually break after a few years of use.
Alternative: Rev-A-Shelf Vanity Fold-Out Ironing Board
The Rev-A-Shelf Vanity Fold-Out Ironing Board is a great option when you only iron once in a while. This ironing board is a convenient departure from the bulky ironing boards you may be used to and replaces it with an expandable frame that can mount in any vanity drawer between the cabinets that measure 14-1/4” to 21”.
This small ironing board features extra padding that helps retain the heat so both sides of the fabric is heated and ironed. The quality of the ironing board is comparable to larger units, as it can handle heavy clothing like a champ.
What’s nice about this ironing board is that it is small enough to take with you on trips and sit it on a table to do your ironing if need be.
Notable features of the Rev-A-Shelf Vanity Fold-Out Ironing Boards include:
- 14.25″ – 21″ Adjustable width
- Designed for vanity applications
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Maximum counter overlay of 1-1/4″ once installed.
- Replacement Cover (RAS-VIB COVER-52)
- Vanity Pull-Out Ironing Board
When looking at what people had to say about the Rev-A-Shelf Vanity Fold-Out Ironing Boards they had great things to say. Customers feel like this is the best small ironing board they’ve come across because it can fit in a cabinet drawer when it isn’t being used.
For many, this is the perfect size board both because they are short on space and they don’t iron large articles of clothing or linen.
Customers who did not enjoy using this compact little ironing board stated that the product is okay to use in a pinch, but it is not suitable for regular use.
Some stated that the latch mechanism on the board is rather unreliable and any time you press on the board, it has the potential to collapse on itself.
One person remedied this problem by replacing the latch with a stronger one. Others have experienced difficulty trying to install the unit.
Best Portable Ironing Board
Winner: Rowenta Compact Professional Folding Ironing Board
This ironing board has a large ironing surface (54” x 18”), which is covered in a corrosion-resistant metallic mesh. This large ironing surface makes it easy to iron larger sections of fabric at one time, thus cutting your ironing time in half because the mesh conducts the heat so your clothes are in contact with heat from both sides.
The ironing board is more than just an ironing board—it features a rack where you can store hangers while you work. It has a shelf for a steam station. The ironing board folds up nicely and is compact if you’re short on storage space.
Another useful feature of this ironing board is that it has wheels on the aluminum legs, so instead of carrying the board from the closet to the work area, you can just roll it.
Notable features of the Rowenta Compact Professional Folding Ironing Board include:
- XL professional size when open and perfect stability
- XS size when folding for easy storage and transportation
- Large ironing surface 54” x 18 ”
- Extra thick cover & Pad
- Hanger racks, large steam station and steam iron rest, wheels
When looking at what people had to say about the Rowenta Compact Professional Folding Ironing Board they had great things to say. These customers were pleased by how sturdy the ironing board was.
They shared that it didn’t wobble or rock when they were ironing or repositioning the clothing on it. They also appreciated the large workspace and felt that their ironing time had been cut in half because of it.
On the other hand, there were a few concerns in regards to the ironing board. Of the critical reviews, customers were disappointed that the part of the board that folds up uses plastic instead of the metal mesh.
They share that when they ironed on this section of the board, the plastic emitted “sickly-sweet” fumes that were the result of the heated-up plastic.
Runner Up: Brabantia Ironing Board With Solid Steam Iron Rest
There’s a reason why this traditional style ironing board is considered to be the best-rated ironing board.
This traditional style board features a large 49” x 18” workspace and sturdy but adjustable four leg construction that has nonslip caps on the ends to prevent the board from sliding while on a hard floor.
The workspace features a foam underlay and a 100% cotton cover and the legs feature a child safety lock that ensures the unit will not collapse while you’re working on it.
The unit also features an incredible 10-year warranty. This warranty ensures that you can work on the ironing board for a full decade without any problems.
Should you encounter any mishaps, you can contact customer service for assistance, whether it is a repair, replacement, or refund.
Notable features of the Brabantia Ironing Board with Solid Steam Iron Rest include:
- Extra-wide and ergonomic – adjustable to 4 different heights (30 – 38 inches)
- A handy transport lock keeps the table folded when stored or transported
- Safety child lock prevents the ironing board from accidentally collapsing
- Available in 3 sizes:
- D – Large
- C – Wide
- B – Standard
When looking at what people had to say about the Brabantia Ironing Board with Solid Steam Iron Rest they had great things to say. The feature commented on by customers was how much space they had to work with on this ironing board.
Folks like that the board has curved corners for ironing the shoulders of shirts, and there’s a tapered end that is great for ironing pant legs. Customers also like that while this unit is only 15 pounds, it feels very sturdy to work with.
- Available in 7 Patterns:
- Moving Circles
- Ice Water
- Titan Oval
- Chrome Painted Frame with Ecru Cover
- Pink Santini
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee
At the other end of the spectrum, there were several customers who were not happy with their purchase. These customers were disappointed in the shape of the packaging when the ironing board arrived.
Some said the box was so damaged, that the fabric on the inside was damaged as well. A few people also mentioned that the legs on their ironing board were not even, which caused the ironing board to wobble while it was being used.
In times when you have to look your best, you’re going to want to make sure your clothes are neatly ironed. It doesn’t matter if you’re going to meet the parents, a potential client, or go out on a date. When you arrive looking disheveled, it isn’t the best first impression.
This is why it’s important to have the proper tools at your disposal, and that includes the best ironing board.
Of the ironing boards we’ve reviewed here, we feel there are two clear winners. If you’re looking for the best quality ironing board, we like the Household Essentials Stow Away In-Wall Ironing Board Cabinet the best.
You can recess the unit in between the studs in the wall and it is hidden behind a cabinet door. You have a couple of shelves that you can use to store the things you need to iron with—iron included! If you need an ironing station in your laundry room but don’t have a bunch of space, then this is a must-have.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for the best cheap ironing board because you don’t iron a lot and you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a board, then we believe the Brabantia Ironing Board with Solid Steam Iron Rest is a great option.
It’s affordable, it’s in the traditional ironing board style, it’s adjustable, and it also has a locking mechanism to give you that extra stability and security.
Before you show up to an important meeting in a wrinkled outfit, don’t be afraid to break out the iron and one of the best ironing boards around! You’d be surprised how much your clothing plays in making a good first impression!