In recent years, composting has become quite popular. Nowadays, more and more homeowners realize the advantages of composting their kitchen scraps, yard clippings, and other biodegradable waste instead of disposing of them in municipal landfills.
Top 5 Bestseller Compost Bins
No products found.
Composting has a wide range of options available to you. Some are quick and easy, but others require patience.
11 Best Compost Bin Wirecutter Reviews
Epica Stainless Steel Compost Bin
No products found.
How do you make organic fertilizer from kitchen and yard scraps without creating a stinky mess? Through composting! A stainless steel compost bin from Epica lets you produce compost easily without the horrible smell and mess.
Aside from composting without leaving an odor, the Epica Compost Bin is also convenient to keep on your kitchen counter or anywhere else. In addition, fruit flies will have a difficult time getting into your compost bin after you close it.
Due to the vented, two-ply charcoal filter, fruit flies are kept out, and smells are kept down. The compost bin is also made from a single sheet of stainless steel, so no odors can escape. Thanks to its stainless steel finish, the Epica compost bin is also easy to clean.
- The airtight lid and charcoal filter (replaceable) effectively contain odors;
- Bins are rust-resistant and leak-proof;
- The Epica compost bin can hold 1.3 gallons of kitchen and household waste for several days before emptying;
- The charcoal filter is also easy to clean (with soap and water) and reuse;
- The bin has a carrying handle so that it is easier to move;
- When used carefully, Epica composting bins are built to last.
- A larger bin is not available in this Epica.
FCMP Outdoor Quick Curing Tumbling Composter Bin
No products found.
The FCMP Outdoor IM4000 Tumbling Composter solves your scraps and leftovers problem. With a capacity of 37 gals (140 liters), this tumbling compost bin makes mixing compost easier. Digging and mixing compost materials is no longer necessary. The decomposition of a tumbling composting bin can be completed in just two weeks under the right conditions.
Using the tumbling bin, you can throw fresh material in one chamber while the other breaks down old material into compost. Then, all you need to do is turn your tumbler about six times every two to three days to produce healthy fertilizer.
The FCMP tumbling compost bin is made of recycled polypropylene, which does not degrade in the sun and is free of BPA. The galvanized steel frame makes it corrosion-resistant. Composting is fast with the adjustable air vents and deep fins that break up clumps in the chamber. However, the bin must be assembled.
- Mix compost material effectively with this tumbler compost bin;
- Mixing is made easy and efficient with the tumbling design;
- It is easy to add new material and remove completed compost from this tumbler compost bin – it has a large opening and a door that can be removed;
- Due to the holes in the tumbler and the fins that break up clumps of compost, aeration is also more natural.
- If you are assembling your tumbler compost bin yourself (lots of panels and screws), follow instructions carefully or get help from someone who knows about tumblers.
Utopia Kitchen Compost Bin for Kitchen Countertop
No products found.
With the Utopia Kitchen Stainless Steel Compost Bin, you can easily produce the best compost for your garden. Additionally, the Utopia kitchen compost bucket is more attractive than ordinary plastic bins.
With this countertop compost bin, you can conveniently dispose of kitchen scraps, peelings, and leftovers. Because it’s equipped with a charcoal filter, the Utopia kitchen compost bin doesn’t produce the stifling odor that can overpower your home.
The lid also prevents fruit flies from getting inside. Composting bins made of stainless steel 201 are also rust, chip, and scratch resistant. This material also makes it very easy to empty and clean your composting bin. The Utopia composting bin is also lightweight and easy to move.
- A counter-top composting bin with a capacity of 1.3 gals or 4.9 liters;
- A durable stainless steel construction that won’t scratch, crack, or chip;
- Lid prevents odor from escaping and fruit flies from entering;
- Controls odors with charcoal filters;
- With their sleek and stylish design, Utopia composting bins fit most kitchen décors;
- Simple to clean with soap and warm water.
- Opening the lid with one hand while putting scraps in it may be difficult. The challenge, however, shows you how secure your compost bin’s lid is.
Worm Factory Composting System for Recycling Food Waste
No products found.
Therefore, worms can work for you 24/7, 365 days a year! Worm Factory 360 composting eliminates rolling, turning, and stirring your compost that is required with other composting bins. Make humus from kitchen scraps, cardboard, and paper to nourish your garden. Imagine saving months or even years of composting time. Worms do all the work!
Anyone can use the Worm Factory to compost effectively. Additionally, the Worm Factory is small and efficient. Worm care is the only thing you need to focus on. The worm factory will work as long as it is kept between 40-80 F (4.4-26.8 C).
Starting with the bottom tray, your worms will work their way up to the top tray for fresh scraps. It is easy to retrieve the trays and to add new scraps to the Worm Factory.
- Worm Factory 360 comes with a 4-Tray system that can be expanded up to 8 trays;
- There is a manual that shows how to care for your Worm Factory worms;
- In addition, the Worm Factory is equipped with a worm tea tray that collects the sounds the worms make.
- Assembly instruction is missing
- Essential attachments may not included
Envirocycle Composter Green
No products found.
Using the Envirocycle Composter, you can transform your scraps into nutrient-rich humus for your garden soil. The Envirocycle composting bin helps you reduce the negative environmental impact of scraps and other waste. Even if you have limited backyard space, you can still use the Envirocycle composter because it is small and compact.
The Envirocycle is a rotating tumbler that produces solid and liquid compost at its base. Envirocycle construction materials are free of chemicals, including BPA, and are not prone to rust. Any waste material placed in the Envirocycle will decompose within days, so this is a very efficient composter.
- The Envirocycle produces liquid and solid compost;
- It is sturdy and built to last;
- Materials are rustproof, BPA-free, and UV protected.
- The Envirocycle is easy to set up and use – no assembly required.
- The odor from your compost bin may escape, so place it in a well-ventilated area.
OXO Good Grips Compost Bin
No products found.
Using this compost bin, you can make the kind of compost that will make your garden flourish. The Oxo Good Grips Easy Clean Compost Bin lives up to its name. Easily set up and used, the OXO compost bin creates nutrient-rich compost from kitchen scraps.
With smooth interior walls, no odors can accumulate, and at the same time, the bin is easy to empty and clean – even in a dishwasher! The container uses no filter, but it keeps food scraps where they belong – inside. The OXO composting bin has a capacity of 348 gallons (2.8 liters). The small size might not appeal to you if you have a lot of waste to compost.
- Small and compact, suitable for kitchen counters;
- A flip-up lid lets you fill it and a flip-down lid keeps odors in;
- Food particles cannot adhere to the smooth inner walls;
- Thanks to a lid that can be removed and the contours on its bottom, it’s easy to empty;
- With the rotating handle, the Envirocycle is also easy to maneuver.
- The OXO composting bin is a little small.
Full Circle Scrap Collector and Freezer Compost Bin
No products found.
Wait until you see the Full Circle Scrap Happy Food Scrap Collector if you are still hesitant about purchasing a composting product. With this scrap collector, you can collect leftovers and scraps and put them in the freezer for later use. This product keeps odors in check. The Full Circle fits into your freezer so you won’t have to worry about messes or fruit flies.
It is also a durable scrap collector, so you can use it again and again. Full Circle Happy Scrap Collector is a great way to keep your scraps organized.
- The convenient wire-rim makes it easy to scoop up scraps from your cutting board or counter;
- The bin can be easily emptied by turning it upside down and pressing a release button;
- Safe to put in a freezer or dishwasher.
- Smaller in size
- Could have come with a lid
OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Compost Bin
No products found.
In addition to the OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Compost Bin, another convenient OXO product to use is the OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Compost Bin. This container is smooth and free of crevices. The design makes it easy to empty and clean the compost bin.
In addition, the OXO Good Grips Compost Bin lets you accumulate food scraps and leftovers for days before emptying them into your compost bin outside. Additionally, the lid prevents mold and bacteria from multiplying by allowing in a tiny amount of oxygen to control the odor. The lid can be removed for easy emptying.
The OXO compost bin is designed with a smooth inner layer that is not the same size and shape as the outer bucket, which has a flat bottom.
- The OXO compost bin is not costly; it fits within most budgets,
- It is sturdy and can take hard knocks;
- This compost bin is small enough to use on top of your kitchen counter;
- The smooth interior wall keeps liquid and food from building up;
- It is easy to carry the compost bin to your outside compost using the handle that conveniently rotates.
- In a dishwasher, the bonding between the interior and exterior walls does not prevent water from entering the composting bin. In this case, you would have to drill a hole to drain the water.
GEOBIN Expandable Compost Bin
No products found.
The GEOBIN is by far one of the least expensive composters on the market. With this user-friendly composting bin, you will not only save money but you will also produce rich compost that will keep your garden flourishing. Setting up the GEOBIN is quite simple.
In no time at all, even a complete beginner can assemble a GEOBIN and start composting. The GEOBIN produces compost from kitchen scraps, yard waste, and plant cuttings, just like most compost bins on the market.
Instead of sending your garbage to the landfill, let your GEOBIN compost it. GEOBIN not only converts waste into a useful product but also contributes to the health of the environment.
- The GEOBIN can be expanded to hold 216 gallons or 818 liters;
- With the provided closure keys, assembling is not difficult;
- You can also move the GEOBIN easily;
- Constructed with 50% recycled plastic;
- This bin ventilates well.
- During a mild breeze outside, it is too fragile to stand
Redmon Green Culture 65-Gallon Compost Bin
No products found.
Composters like the Redmon Green Culture Compost Bin are among the best. With a capacity of 65 gallons (246 liters), there is enough room to produce any amount of compost. Not only is this a durable plastic resin composting bin, but it is also made to withstand harsh elements without deteriorating. Four doors let you access the contents or add more materials to your compost.
Additionally, the lid can be lifted to add more compostable material conveniently. Composting bins are also made with ventilation holes to speed up decomposition. Redmon’s Green Culture compost bin yields fast results. It is possible to receive either the compost bin alone or the compost bin and aerator together.
- You can get to your compost with four doors;
- Made with plastic that is resistant to the weather’s wear and tear;
- This bin can hold up to 65 galls or 246 liters;
- It is easy to set up and use this composter.
- A few consumers complained against receiving defective product
- Cheap plastic used & loosely constructed
Algreen Products Soil Saver Classic Compost Bin
No products found.
Finally, Algreen Products offers the Soil Saver Classic. Compost bins make it easy to produce rich, organic humus for use in gardens and farms. Soil Saver is not only easy to set up and use, but it also has convenient features.
With this compost bin, there is no chance of raw materials and compost getting mixed up (as with tumblers). You simply remove the actual compost while the fresh materials break down some more. As a result, you get fertilizer more quickly.
The Soil Saver Classic Compost bin has an extra-large 12 cubic foot capacity, which is a great feature. As a result, you will save a good deal of money on curbside pick-up fees and transportation costs to the landfill.
- A Soil Saver compost bin can create nutrient-rich humus in six to eight weeks;
- Composting allows you to divert 30% of your kitchen and household garbage from landfills while saving money;
- The compost bin is made from recycled material that is BPA-free and environmentally friendly;
- As the lid of your compost bin is tight, no animals can get into it. The openings, however, allow air to flow through the composter to accelerate composting;
- The sliding doors of the composting bin allow you to easily remove the compost from the bottom;
- A thick Soil Saver is excellent at insulating, allowing the fast breakdown of material to produce rich compost.
- Lid may not snugly fit
- Users found some parts missing from the package
What to Consider When Choosing Compost Bin
When it comes to compost bins, they are a great way to help out the environment and your family. There are many models and brands to choose from, so you should know exactly what you want before you begin your search.
Dark colored recycled plastic is one of the best materials for compost bins. Many commercial companies use this material because it is great for absorbing heat and preventing moisture loss, which is crucial for the composting process.
Some people choose to use wood, but the wood must resist rot. Cedar will prevent your compost bin from becoming part of the compost. It’s also important to remember that pressure-treated wood contains toxins that can contaminate your compost.
Making a compost bin usually involves two shapes: a square and a circle. However, square compost bins have cold corners in the corners that make them undesirable in the garden.
Due to the difficulty of reaching these areas with a pitchfork or mixing tool, they decompose rather slowly. It might be best for you to choose a round compost bin if you’d like to make things as easy for yourself as possible.
It is important to consider ventilation when buying a compost bin. In order for the microorganisms to break down the food, you must buy a compost bin with plenty of slits so oxygen can enter. Compost that is not ventilated properly will result in a slow composting process and a slimy mess.
The size of your compost bin is entirely dependent on how much organic waste you produce at home. The best thing to do if you don’t produce a lot of waste at home is to buy a smaller bin. A larger compost bin is definitely necessary if your home or farm produces a lot of organic waste. Keep in mind that the bigger the compost bin, the more work it requires.
Now that you know what to look for in a compost bin, let’s discuss the benefits of composting at home. The greatest benefit of composting is how easy it is since the decomposing food in the compost does all the work for you.
Thus, there is no need to worry that you might not be able to compost at home. We’ve established that you don’t have to devote all of your free time to composting, so let’s examine the other incredible benefits of composting at home!
Consider for a moment all of the food that you throw away every day. Most of the food you waste can be thrown straight into your compost bin, preventing it from filling up landfills.
Imagine what would happen if every single household composted their waste? It goes without saying that it would have a dramatic impact on the environment in more ways than one.
When food decomposes in the trash can in your kitchen, it can smell awful in your home. When you compost, all of that food goes right outside, leaving your home smelling pleasant, rather than like a landfill.
For those who choose to compost, the cost of composting is the greatest benefit. To create your own composting bin for your yard, you can do so for almost nothing.
After a short period of time, your compost pile will become a nutrient-rich organic fertilizer that can be used in gardens, grass, or landscaping.
In situations where soil has been exposed to toxins, such as fertilizers or fuels, composted soil can regenerate it into healthy soil. Composting prevents these harmful toxins from spreading to nearby water sources and plants, making everything happier and healthier in the long run.
Types Of Compost Bins
There are several types of compost bins available for converting biodegradable waste into compost.
Let’s look at a few.
The Enclosed Bin
A compost bin is usually enclosed when there is little space for a compost and you want to reduce odors. A container enclosed in plastic is usually made of recycled plastic, which means you won’t have to worry about rust from metals.
The bin’s neat appearance makes it an attractive choice for plant growers who lack space as well as homemakers who require a composter for kitchen scraps. The enclosed composter is easy to maintain as it is simple to empty and clean. In an enclosed bin, composting typically takes between six months and a year.
The Rolling Bin
The rolling bin, on the other hand, allows you to load it with compost material and mix or roll it to aerate it. Many brands of rolling bins can hold an impressive amount of compost, so even yard clippings can be thrown in with the scraps to make humus for your soil.
Because it is spherical and made of recycled plastic, your rolling bin retains heat as well. Composting is faster and easier with the rolling bin, and it’s perfect for homeowners with enough space to use it. However, you might decide to empty it before it becomes too heavy for you to handle.
Turning and stirring composting materials is easy with a tumbler. In the average household, the tumbler reduces kitchen and household scraps to compost within six weeks. When you don’t have enough space to compost, the tumbler is a great bin to leave on your porch or deck.
They are energy efficient and look great. In addition, the tumbler’s design allows bacteria and oxygen to decompose materials faster. Adding more scraps, however, wouldn’t be possible until the tumbler is full and decomposition has begun.
The Worm Bin
A worm bin would be a good option for an apartment dweller or someone with limited space. Compost bins need redworms to convert scraps and bio-waste into nutrient-rich organic soil. However, you must ensure that the red worms have the right ingredients to multiply and thrive in your compost bin.
The worm bins also feature removable trays so that you can easily retrieve the worm castings. It can be placed under your kitchen sink, in your garage, or outside. Temperatures should range between 40-80 F (4.4 C and 26.8 C) for best results.
How Does A Compost Bin Work?
Despite our discussion of how to buy a compost bin and why they are so beneficial, we haven’t explored what exactly a compost bin does. The use of moisture and air in composting actually speeds up the decomposition process.
As long as the conditions are ideal, aerobic organisms will be created, and they will maintain the high temperatures needed to transform organic waste into compost. It would happen even if you piled organic waste into a pile, but a compost bin speeds up the decomposition process.
Hopefully, you have now found the compost bin that will meet your composting requirements the best. In addition to providing tips on the different types of composting containers and how they may work for you, this review also provides top recommendations that you may want to consider. In this guide, you will learn how to choose the best compost bin for your composting project. The final decision you make will depend on your situation and whether the composting solution can help you. However, you should definitely go ahead – you will be glad that you did.